Dec 20, 2011

For the Next one


In the west we have the famous throwing of the bouquet. In my part of India, we have madram-vaippu where the bride/groom has the 'veto' power to select the next bakra ;o)

The Punjabis have the Kalira. (more on the punjabi pre-wedding tradions here).

My best(est) childhood freind got married last month and I have a camera full of colorful photographs.
It was a gala Punjabi wedding and the most enjoyable part were the pre-wedding ceremonies.

No matter which part of the world one might hail from, and how different each tradition, custom and ritual might be, I am sure there must be something in every culture which would involve the prospective 'next' ones.


Sonali jingles her Kalira on her unmarried friends and cousins, in anticipation of a few pieces to fall on them.
©Ritu


Her cousing brother too gets a fair chance with the Kaliras ;o)
©Ritu


I am not sure how and when this custom originated and whether it works or not.. but it surely was lot of fun :o)

Much Love
rv

3 comments:

  1. Aawwwww...... Ritu believe me...after seeing this, I have tears in my eyes...such a sweet thought..these ceremonies end in few minutes but such thoughts make them live long in our hearts ...I am so thankful to u for jotting it down..these are memories for life... Luv u loadzz ritzziiiieeee....muaahhh

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is sooooooo sweeeeeeeeet ritzieeeee :)

    ReplyDelete